Sunday, November 22, 2015


it is a good day

Nov 9, 2015 


Hey y'all! This past week was so good! It was filled with member + missionary efforts here in the Alliance Ward! The raking has continued (Did you know a lot of people don't want their yards to be raked for free?). The best experience with that was on Saturday when we had next to diddly squat confirmed appointments, so we were stopping by people. We went to Sister Santangelo's, a less active member I have never had a lesson with, and caught her outside just starting to clean up her leaves. Of course we joined.. wearing skirts! Oh what fun it is to be a Sister Missionary! 

Seriously.. have I said this already? The members of the Alliance Ward are so amazing. We had experiences with 10 members this past week. Here are some of the most notable:
1. A funny one to start out.. Sister Connor drove us to District Meeting (45 minutes away) and we hit a chipmunk on the way back! I think I have a problem with laughing in situations that are stressful to other people. Sister Blackner and I about died laughing.
2. The Reeds had Xaveria over for dinner and a lesson. It was so awesome! Brother Reed committed her to reading everyday and praying about The Book of Mormon, instead of just focusing on Joseph Smith, which is her roadblock to being baptized. Xaveria said she felt at home with a lot of the members of the Ward. We taught her about family history work yesterday and are starting that with her this week! Hopefully that will spark something in her to be baptized.
3. Brother Reed came to visit Jen & Chad Anderson with us. Jen is going to be baptized on January 3rd!!! And Chad committed to prepare to baptize her! We went over the baptismal interview questions and Jen realized we have a lot of work to do. I am excited for this newfound focus.
4. We got to meet a referral, Lance, at the Bauer's home. His daughter is in a neighboring Ward and is a convert. He used to be very closed off to meeting with missionaries, but now he is so open! He has been meeting with the Elders at his daughter's home and hearing the lessons. He loves all of the members he has met from the Church and is coming next Sunday to visit the Alliance Ward! The best part was when he told us that the Elders were helping him work towards baptism in January! Surprise! We didn't even know that our new investigator already has a baptismal date.. That one put a smile on a missionary's face! 

I have a testimony that members and missionaries working together brings even greater power to this work! It is the way Heavenly Father intended it to be. 

On my mission, I have learned a lot about who I want to be (and who I do not want to be!). I am realizing lately that I need to change my attitude and just be happy regardless of whatever situation we find ourselves in. I am working on that right now. In church, Brother Stefancic said, "It is what you make it. If it is to be, then it is up to me." I like that thought -- that if I want to have Christ-centered life and be a happy person, then it is up to me. I know that in the past, a lot of my actions and words were influenced by others. I am learning that I can be interdependent with my companion -- I don't always have to agree or act the way they do. I can make my own choices and I can be the person I want to be regardless of who they are choosing to be. And that can change a whole situation! I am strengthening my resolve to more consistently be who I want to become. 

Maybe that was a roundabout way of saying what Elder Richard G. Scott so simply declared: "We become what we want to be by consistently being what we want to become each day."

I know that every choice we make is important. I know that we each have a divine nature & potential that our Heavenly Father is helping us to achieve. I am grateful that He gives us so many opportunities to change. 

I love you all!
Sister Pound

p.s. In regards to the message I just shared, I am forewarning you that the worst thing you can say when I come home is, "You're just the same old Aubrey!" :)

Displaying SAM_4718.JPG

No comments:

Post a Comment