Monday, August 3, 2015

Jul 27, 2015

"If we're fallin' for the devil, we ain't gonna be close to God." -Joseph

 Hello there! 

Well, I will keep this one short and sweet. On Saturday night, we had a little miracle that reminded me that this is the work of the Lord. We finished our regular dinner with Sister Eddy, a cute old lady who takes us out every week. It was about 6:30 and we had no plans for the rest of the evening. Well, if you remember, missionaries are supposed to be home at 9, so we had to figure out what to do. We decided to stop by some less actives and got to meet a couple people, but no one invited us in. I had a though that we could go see Sister Melton, who is a less active we visit every Tuesday. At first it was a weird thought to me, but I reasoned that it was Saturday night and I thought our purpose was so we could invite her to church and help her feel the Spirit prompting her to come the next day. We called and she said we could come. She said she was having a bad day because she had learned of the death of a family member. We went straight over.

When we got there, we sang her some hymns and asked questions. We came to find out that her step-son had passed away. Well, it just so happened that I ordered some beautiful pictures of the Columbus Ohio Temple and I thought to give one to her. We were able to teach about the Temple and help her recognize that it was her goal to go soon. She said the Bishop told her that is what she needs to do. She ended up saying that she wants to go before the end of this year! We were able to bear sincere testimony that any sacrifice and any commitment she could make would be worth it. The best part was when she asked how we knew to come and we were able to testify that the Spirit led us to her that night. Oh, how I am grateful to be doing the work of the Lord! 

I am grateful to be able to share with so many about the Gospel and the blessings I have received. I love the Temple! I studied a talk by President Monson, "The Holy Temple—a Beacon to the World" recently and I want to share some of the best snippets:

"Why are so many willing to give so much in order to receive the blessings of the temple? Those who understand the eternal blessings which come from the temple know that no sacrifice is too great, no price too heavy, no struggle too difficult in order to receive those blessings. There are never too many miles to travel, too many obstacles to overcome, or too much discomfort to endure. They understand that the saving ordinances received in the temple that permit us to someday return to our Heavenly Father in an eternal family relationship and to be endowed with blessings and power from on high are worth every sacrifice and every effort.

If you have not yet been to the temple or if you have been but currently do not qualify for a recommend, there is no more important goal for you to work toward than being worthy to go to the temple. Your sacrifice may be bringing your life into compliance with what is required to receive a recommend, perhaps by forsaking long-held habits which disqualify you. It may be having the faith and the discipline to pay your tithing. Whatever it is, qualify to enter the temple of God. Secure a temple recommend and regard it as a precious possession, for such it is.

Until you have entered the house of the Lord and have received all the blessings which await you there, you have not obtained everything the Church has to offer. The all-important and crowning blessings of membership in the Church are those blessings which we receive in the temples of God."

I know that is true! Temples are so important. I know most of you who read this understand, but I hope the words of the Prophet inspire us all to appreciate and love the Temple more and to attend more frequently. The work we do in the Temple is eternal. I am grateful to be a part of something that extends beyond worldly time and things. I love my mission for that reason -- the work I am a part of extends beyond into the eternities. I am grateful to be a small part of how Heavenly Father is fulfilling His work and promises! I know that we all have that great responsibility as members of the Church -- we can share the joy and peace that have come to us because of the Gospel of Jesus Christ!

I love you all! 
Love,
Sister Pound






No comments:

Post a Comment