Monday, July 27, 2015

July 20, 2015

Hello there! 

It's definitely been a physically challenging week. That's for sure. We did a lot of service (the kind no one likes to do, like weed-pulling pokey thistles, prepping for painting & cleaning up, and heavy lifting down stairs, etc.) and  I think I was sore everyday waking up. It's a hard life when your super buff companion gets transferred, then you get a companion who just had wrist surgery and can barely lift anything heavy. I am now the "strong" one.. and for those of you who know me well, you know that I am a wimp. I have, like, no arm muscles. But I can definitely say after this week, I have gained maybe a little on my mission. :)  Not to mention, the past few days have been actual summer days in the upper 80s & HUMID.. and I think I sweat more than I ever have in my whole life this past week. (This is the part where my parents get to be super proud because I'm learning "work ethic" or whatever they call it. Lemons --> lemonade. There you go!)

We had some wonderful things happen with those we are working with.. and even more new investigators! Blessings! 

Little joys: 
○ Linda, our investigator, came to visit Hermana Crandall with us because they are super good friend. It was awesome.. and quickly turned into an old people topic kinda visit, with ranting of course. Good fellowship!
○ We sang "There is Sunshine in My Soul Today" to poor old Sister Walker (90) who fell and is in a nursing home now. I also sang her some primary songs, including "Jesus Wants Me for a Sunbeam". She had this big grin on her face. Priceless. She remarked, "Well, you can sing those every time you come!" I love old people. I love music. Golden moments.
○ Even though the service has been difficult, it is also a blessing. One of our members is trusting the missionaries more and got them involved in helping her nonmember dad weed his yard and sister move out, then in. 
○ Denise loves us and we can be pretty bold with her. She said she hadn't been reading the Book of Mormon but has been reading the Bible.. then asked us what we thought of that. I said, "Well, number 1: you should read the Book of Mormon.. but number 2: the Bible is good too. They are companion scriptures!" She said she knew that was coming. :) I love when investigators know what we will invite them to do. It's like deep down they understand it will help them come closer to Christ. It's the actual DOING that is tough for them. (Plus, she used to dance ballet on pointe and has shoes that fit me.. I got to try them on and try it out. It's kinda painful.. but I love it! I am so excited for the Resurrection when I get to be a ballerina finally.:) 

Big joys:
○ We went to Sister Thomas' to teach her again.. I don't know what it is with her home, but there's always someone new to teach. Her granddaughter, Raquel, and friend, Terrain, were there and sat in. They used to meet with missionaries. They both have a desire to be baptized, just some concerns. Terrain said she knows Joseph Smith is a prophet and wants to be baptized "Mormon". Awesome!
○ We talked to Carol on the phone.. so update: she came to church, did not like Gospel Principles, and said she feels with her whole soul that her answer is "No." about joining our church. We talked with her again this week. She has continued praying on it and though she still says her answer is no, she said ever since she made that decision, that she has been in "spiritual warfare" and feels that everything has been going downhill.... yeah, we're waiting for her to make the connection. By the end of the call (she talks A LOT and usually these calls last 45 minutes) we actually got her to commit to pray about receiving a Priesthood blessing. 
○ Kinjiru came to church again and we got to have a lesson with him. He started tearing up telling us that he misses having the gift of the Holy Ghost with him. He desires it so badly. It is so cool to teach someone with such a sincere desire, who understands how immense and tangible the blessings of the Gospel are.


It's been a good week, to say the least. I love my mission. And I love the personal instruction the scriptures have been giving to me lately. A goal I am really working on is not complaining and just to love: my companion, my situation, etc. I read in Doctrine & Covenants 9:3-8 and these parts stood out to me:

"Be patient, my [daughter], for it is wisdom in me"
"Do not murmur, my [daughter], for it is wisdom in me that I have dealt with you after this manner."
"But, behold, I say unto you, that you must study it out in your mind" then, "you shall feel that it is right."

Also, I love that the Lord reminds me to continue on. Keep moving forward! Be faithful and endure. That is how we will all gain the greatest blessings the Lord desires to share with us. I know He is offering help to each of us to do so.

I love each of you!
hugs all around,
Sister Pound

No comments:

Post a Comment