Sunday, May 24, 2015

Life in LAKEWOOD!

May 18, 2015
Familia!!!!

I am in the MOST beautiful area. Honest to goodness, I am obsessed with it! I have taken so many photos.. of trees and houses and pretty things. Saint Marys prepared me to love and embrace the area! We are right next to Lake Erie (we literally live a 5 minute walk across the street) and we go to the pier in the morning and exercise and we live by all the senior couples who work in the mission office and they are so cute and make us cookies and wow. I am in loveeee! 

My new companion is Sister Hamatake (Hah-mi-talk-ee) from Grantsville, Utah. She just got done being trained.. so she's pretty new. It's been difficult to say the least. I am now realizing how much I have really learned on my mission. I am short on time, so I will share more about the people next week!

I want to share something I am learning about being a Latter-day Saint! I was reading in Mosiah 3, verse 19. "For the natural man is an enemy to God, and has been from the fall of Adam, and will be, forever and ever, unless he yields to the enticings of the Holy Spirit, and putteth off the natural man and becometh a saint through the atonement of Christ the Lord, and becometh as a child, submissive, meek, humble, patient, full of love, willing to submit to all things which the Lord seeth fit to inflict upon him, even as a child doth submit to his father."

The question came to my mind: "Well, what's the opposite of the natural man?" From further study, I came to the conclusion that it IS a SAINT! We can become Saints by putting off the natural man. I like this quote by Boyd K. Packer: "True doctrine, understood, changes attitudes and behaviors." 

As Latter-day SAINTS, we need to be immersed in true doctrine! We need to have meaningful study of the scriptures and the words of Prophets! We need to TRY each day, for as we learned in General Conference, "a saint is a sinner who keeps on trying." (Renlund) Our study changes us to become Saints, through the Atonement of Christ.

I love you all! 

Hugs & snugs, 
Sister Aubrey Pound


GOOD QUOTES:
- "Jesus is better than you." -Sister Lee, old lady we visit.
- (excuse the language) "Pound... huh, that's a helluva name to have." -Darlene, another old lady we visit!
-  > "Can we have a volunteer for the opening prayer?" -Sister Abbott 
   >"This is a church of callings, not volunteers." -Sister Hamatake
- "It's important to give people chances." -Sister Olson
- "The Lord didn't put a 40-year old head on a 20-year old body." -LeGrand Richards, the Lord knows us! He doesn't expect more than we can give. How comforting. :)
- "Why does God command us to be grateful? All of His commandments are given to make blessings available to us. Commandments are opportunities to exercise our agency and to receive blessings. Our loving Heavenly Father knows that choosing to develop a spirit of gratitude will bring us true joy and great happiness." -Dieter F. Uchtdorf

P.S. attached is a photo of the Cleveland skyline from our recent convert's apartment!!! WHAT?! I am not in Toledo anymore.


No comments:

Post a Comment