Monday, November 3, 2014



the life

heeeeeeeeeey everybodyyyyyy!

Well, I thought since maybe many of you who read this haven't experienced a mission, 
you might like to know what a typical day is like. It goes a little something like this:

6:30 AM Good morning, starshine! Exercise for 30 minutes. I run on the treadmill or do 
some little pinterest things my mom sent to me.

7:00 Get ready & eat breakfast.
8:00 Personal study.
9:00 Companion study.
10:00 Out in the area.
11:00 Lunch break!
12:00 Back to work. This includes appointments and service! We teach lessons, 
rake yards, comfort a distraught stranger, talk to strangers, teach lessons some more, 
and love the people of Massillon!
5:00 PM Dinner. (Either an appointment with a member, or at home.)
6:00 Back to work, again.
9:00 In the apartment for daily planning time!
9:30 Done for the day. This is time to write in our journals, get ready for bed, and just 
talk about our day! (I go to bed early most of the time..)
10:30 Bedtime.

Wash, rinse, repeat! Throw in the occasional meeting, tons of rescheduling, running late, 
awkward moments, the best Spirit you've ever felt, and there you have the life of a 
missionary! I've learned to love it.

Anyways, this past week it seems that we hit a wall with Mary. We taught the Word 
of Wisdom and she has no desire whatsoever to quit smoking. I feel like we invited the
 Spirit and taught her doctrine, and she still wasn't ready to change her mind. It's difficult, 
because we love her so much and want to see her live the gospel to its fullest. She can
only access the full blessings and power of the Atonement as she changes and is baptized.
It is painful to want something so badly for someone and try to help them, and to see no 
desire in them! We will still work towards baptism and I trust that the Spirit will slowly 
change her heart. The Lord's timing is different than our own, and that is something we 
have to accept. As missionaries, we also must accept that everyone has their agency 
and that we can do everything we possibly can, but they must choose to act. 

We had the opportunity to have our first lesson with Brandon, Crystal's boyfriend, last 
night. He is so humble and willing to listen. He knows he needs to change and he wants 
to be baptized in December! It is the best feeling to help someone reach a point where 
they can make covenants, or promises with Heavenly Father. It is a blessing to work 
with many, like Brandon, who are humble.

You're probably wondering why I am on a mission when I experience so many disappointing
things, like Mary's lesson, and I have left school and my family and everything I love for 
18 months! (Or maybe you weren't and I just want to explain this to you all!)  It absolutely
makes no sense. Let me tell you: I experience many more discouraging things than I do 
amazing things. I don't know if you all understand that because you are not here living it 
with me! You only have glimpses of what my life is like at the moment. Regardless of 
whatever happens, I know I witness miracles daily. I see them because I choose to. 

I know that this is the Lord's work and that His hand touches my life. He is very aware 
that missionaries pass through many disappointing things. He is very aware that the life 
I am living right now is difficult. He is aware that I have left all of my comforts. The miracles 
I am privileged to witness and the love for the people I serve are the greatest blessings 
He has given me at this time. Every time I experience something amazing, it strikes out 
all the stuff I had to go through to get there! As my good friend, Hannah said recently, 
"I know the reasons that I decided to serve a mission but I can promise you that the reasons 
I have stayed on my mission are very different." I haven't been out for a terribly long amount 
of time, but I know that I have been able to endure because the Atonement is real. I know 
that we have a loving Father in Heaven and a Savior, Jesus Christ. We may pass through 
things that cause us to feel helpless and hopeless, but I know that the gospel gives us 
enduring hope. I have experienced so much happiness as I have given up my time to serve. 

Take care, y'all. Love ya dearly,

Sista Pound 


GOOD(ish) STORIES & QUOTES:
- "I don't want to be a millenial bride!" -S. Olson
- "I think you're going to heaven." -President Vellinga
- "If I were your daddy, I'd just let you cry on my shoulder!" -President, again. He is the best.
- "Sometimes we have to pay the price to get acquainted with God." -E. Poe
- Well, I've determined daylight savings might be my favorite holiday as a missionary. 
We actually get to celebrate with an extra hour of sleep! Yippee!
- "Hasta NUNCA!" -S. Helmsy
- Sister Haenga is the best. We dressed up for the trunk-or-treat. I had tons of fun! :)


No comments:

Post a Comment